Tuesday, October 20, 2015

5 Overused Fantasy Tropes


Fantasy is probably one of the oldest genres in the history of storytelling. When we look at mythology we see a lot of “fantastic” concepts -- from gods battling one another to the humble protagonist growing into a powerful and formidable warrior. 

These ideas aren't new to most of us and many have stood the test of time. However, there are a select few that have come to strike me as WAY overused. Keep in mind, this list is merely my opinion and I am sure there are plenty I have missed or tropes I am guilty of overusing myself. Also, this doesn't mean that I dislike any story that uses these ideas (as I'm sure I do). I just hate to see them used where something more original could be placed. 

5. Halflings, Elves, and Dwarves OH, MY!
If you have read any fantasy besides Tolkien I am sure you have noticed the myriad of books containing the races that he made popular. While this is not inherently bad, it can be a bit lazy, especially when these races aren't changed at all. Most fantasy readers are familiar with the Dwarves’ love of the mountains, the aloof nature of the Elves, and the jovial (if somewhat naïve) behavior of the Halflings. While these truly have become tropes in their own right, it's fun to see authors who change things up a bit and give the races a new direction. Would it really be so bad if Dwarves and Elves got along? What if Halflings were a nomadic people? Simple changes can make a big difference.

4. The Damsel in Distress
While I understand that the tales of yesteryear were from a more primitive time, this is the 21st century. Time to move on! I am in no way saying that a female character should never need help or have no flaws at all. That would be very boring. I refer more to the stereotype of the princess in need who can't do anything on her own and is often merely a "prize" for the hero at the end of the story. There are so many ways to turn this on its head and change things for the better -- oftentimes with just a few well-placed sentences. 

3. The Power Within
This is a more recent trope in my opinion and it has taken middle school and young adult fantasy by storm. Many of these stories end up with the hero discovering some latent abilities that slowly turns him or her into an awesome powerhouse. Used simply as a tool to tell a coming of age tale, as the hero learns to better utilize their powers, rarely do we see it taken further. The majority of the time their abilities are a shallow reflection of their personality -- and nothing more. I myself am guilty of using this, as my upcoming novel Kelligan's Call features a protagonist with powers she doesn't yet recognize.  Still, I tried to make it a little different in the way it is presented and use the power she is given as magnifying glass, amplifying the character’s personality traits.

2. The Prophecy
This can come in many different shapes and sizes. Sometimes it heralds doom, other times a savior. In the end it tends to just be an overused device that gives the characters something to anticipate or dread, adding a bit of a thrill. However, the more this is used the less thrilling it is as it becomes more and more predictable. 

1. The Chosen One
I can't tell you how many times I have groaned in frustration when I have read "the chosen one" in a book or heard it in a movie. It transcends fantasy and has made its way into science fiction as well. While there is most certainly an appeal in seeing someone destined for greatness, it can get a little old as you usually know how the story will end. The hero either rises to the occasion, making the ultimate sacrifice, or falls completely flat and joins the ranks of the antagonists.  Most readers are aware that the main character will do something of note in the story and will usually have a solid impact on the world around them. Do we really need to be blatantly told that this will happen?



2 comments:

  1. On often overlooked point on #5's criticism: Why must there be a racial component to fantasy at all? Even at their best, fantasy races tend to carry a lot of baggage, either calling back to a xenophobic european world-view or "noble savage"-style overcompensation.

    Fantasy is wide open. The number of stories in which fantastic human-like races feature is way disproportionate to the number stories you can tell with just fantastic ethnicities, or featuring almost no ethnic themes and merely fantastic situations and locales.

    So, in my opinion, your #5 should be "Fantasy Races" not specifically limited to the Tolkien standards. I don't care if your goblins are different, goblins are lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which is understandable and I totally get where your coming from. The typical races do tend to be white which is a frustrating oversight at the very least. There is just SO much to be done within existing mythology let alone when an author unleashes their imagination. Very well put Owen.

    ReplyDelete